Point of Care Testing for Pink Eye
Point of care testing helps us make the right diagnosis when it comes to pink eye, which is an inflammation or infection of the thin lining inside your eyelid and part of your eyeball.
When the small blood vessels in the lining, called the conjunctiva, become inflamed, they also become more prominent and cause the eye to turn pink or red. It’s important for us to determine the source of your pink eye infection so we can come up with the right treatment plan. The three most common types are:
- Viral conjunctivitis: Highly contagious with no available drugs for treatment.
- Bacterial conjunctivitis: More common in children, this type is caused by bacteria so it can be treated with a prescription for antibiotic eye drops or ointment.
- Allergic conjunctivitis: Caused by pet dander, pollen, mold and other common substances, treated with antihistamine drops.
In the past, doctors could only determine the cause of pink eye in a patient through a physical exam or wait on time-consuming and costly lab tests. Now our eye doctor in Tucson AZ can simply collect eye fluid samples for accurate results in minutes. There are two types of testing we can provide:
The RPS Adeno Detector is a quick in-office test that ensures the right pink eye diagnosis and treatment decisions to protect your eyes. This way, you and your eye doctor in Tucson AZ can:
- Cut down on unnecessary antibiotic prescriptions
- Help prevent antibiotic resistance
- Help protect others from the spread of infection
- Reduce serious complications
- Determine when it’s safe to return to school or work
InflammaDry is a quick, in-office test that detects MMP-9, an inflammatory marker that shows up in the tears of patients with dry eye disease. This process can identify high levels of MMP-9 protein in tear fluid samples via direct sampling micro-filtration technology. This test is desirable because it is affordable and disposable, requiring no additional equipment to administer or interpret results.
Call Clear View Vision Care About Point of Care Testing
Point of care testing for pink eye can be done right in the office on your first visit. It’s quick, easy, and affordable. To book your appointment, call Clear View Vision Care at 520-327-9411. We’re conveniently located at 2233 E Speedway Blvd in Tucson, open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m to 5:30 p.m.